From Echo Dot and it’s kids edition to a drone that lets Amazon see your entire house.
Amazon and the Environment
- Amazon co-founded and signed The Climate Pledge
- They currently operate at net zero carbon emissions across entire business.
- With investments in renewables, Amazon will use 100% renewables in 2025.
- All products launched now are made from 100% recycled fabric or recycled aluminium. And they will come with the new “Climate Pledge Friendly” badge on Amazon.com.
- These new Echo and Fire TV include a new “low power mode” and existing users will get this in an update soon.
- Electricity Dashboard is another new feature that shows you energy consumption of your echo and smart devices.
- Although this Dashboard doesn’t seem to have much utility to you, Alexa uses it to suggest you energy-saving routines like to turn off light after a certain time.
- The (seemingly) best announcement though was that 100% of energy used by customers of Echo will be matched by wind and solar energy. This means Amazon will generate as much renewable energy as their customers’ Echo devices consume.
- It has AZI Neural Edge processor which translates to 2 times faster speech processing and 85% lower energy consumption.
- The Echo dot and Echo Dot with clock look similar and cost $49.99 and $59.99.
Echo Dot Kids Edition
- New panda and tiger designs with themed alarms
- It has kid-friendly responses and explicit lyrics filtering.
- It also has kid related content like 1000+ audiobooks and interactive games.
- Reading Sidekick, a new feature that makes Alexa read along with your child. Alexa speeds up if your child is doing well or slows down to support when he doesn’t.
- Finally, we’ve Alexa voice profile for kids which recognises kids voices and turn on kids mode automatically, enabling the above features.
Alexa now self-learns from you. When you speak something she doesn’t know (and I wonder why’d you do that) Alexa does this:
You: “Alexa set the lighting to my reading mode”
Alexa: “What do you mean by your reading mode?” 🤨
You: “40% brightness”
Alexa: “Okay, I’ll remember your reading mode. Lighting set to 40% brightness.”
- The better update here is that Alexa will now stress words, change tones, and insert pauses depending on context.
Natural Turn Taking
- When you’re talking to a friend and Alexa together, you don’t need to start with “Alexa” anymore, you can just say “Alexa, join our conversation” and she’ll hop on.
- Your Alexa can now recognise baby crying or smoke alarms.
- In case that wasn’t enough, your Alexa will make barking sounds to scare away people from your home when you’re out.
- A new Alexa Gaurd Plus subscription extend security features and give access to 24/7 helpline for $4.99 a month. (One month free)
Alexa Care Hub
- You can connect with Alexa accounts of your family members and see what they’re doing and get notifications.
Eero and Eero Pro 6
- Amazon’s mesh wifi betwey cost $129.99 and $229.99 respectively.
- Now supports 99% of cars
- It monitors for break-ins and sends real time notifications.
- It monitors for activity around your car and turns on a siren when something happens.
- There’s also emergency crash assist and “Alexa, I’m being pulled over” which starts recording everything and send notifications to emergency contacts.
Ring Always Home Cam
- It’s a drone with security camera that covers all of your home.
- It only records when it’s in motion and makes a loud sound when it does so. But there are still major privacy concerns.
Echo Show 11
- The highlight is rotatable 10″ HD display, made to look more like a human.
- The camera is 13MP with Zoom integrations for group calling.
- Say, “Alexa turn off motion” to make Echo Show 11 stop following
- “Alexa, review my privacy settings” does what it says.
- And “Alexa, delete everything I ever said” will delete all voice records.
Fire TV Stick
- HD Streaming with Dolby Atmos
- 50% more powerful and uses 50% less energy.
Fire TV Stick Life
- A simplified version of Fire TV Stick @ $24.99
- Amazon’s game-streaming platform
- It works on all platforms (yes, including iOS)
- Luna+ channels cost $5.99 a month.
- Amazon can take benefit of its AWS infrastructure to stream games.
- It’s gaming controller ($49.99) connects directly to the cloud for lower latency and higher ease of use.
- It’s also highly integrated with Twitch.