Two thoughts on the Apple Event:
- Apple was super focused on health and fitness atleast for the first half of the event.
- Apple is making its products *cheaper*, hoping to cover up costs with subscriptions.
Apple Watch Series 6
- It has sensors to monitor your Blood O2 levels in just 15s.
- Apple announced 3 new studies in partnership with Universities and organisations to see how monitoring blood O2 levels and other metrics benefit us.
- A dual core S5 processor makes it 20% faster than previous ones.
- The display’s 2½ times brighter when outdoors.
- It now continuously tracks your elevation if you’re climbing.
- There’s some fancy new watchfaces too.
- Probably the biggest upgrade is — Solo Loop. It’s unbreakable wristband without buckles or strap adjustments.
Priced at $399
Control the kids
- There’s also a new sort of Kids mode for Apple Watches, which lets parents set who they can contact and where they go.
- Available on Series 4 or later.
Apple Watch SE
- 30% larger screen than Series’ 3
- Same processor as Series 6 (No Blood O2 tracking though)
- There’s a cellular model too.
- Priced at $279. Or $12/month
(Just so you know, Series 3 is still available at $199)
Apple’s Environment Promise
- Apple runs entirely on 100% renewable energy now.
- It promises to be 100% carbon neutral by 2030, including supply chains and products.
- But it does come with a cost to YOU — to prevent wasting of USB chargers, Apple will no more include them with Apple Watches.
- But (1) with Apple Watch SE, a lot of new consumers will join who’ll have to buy the charger separately and (2) it’s highly likely that the same will happen to iPhones, launching next month.
Apple Fitness+ Subscription
- It’s a catalogue of workout videos you can exercise with on your iPhone, iPad and Apple TV.
- It syncs with your Apple Watch as you start a workout and show you key metrics on the screen, in real time.
- After you end a workout, you’ll see a detailed summary stating your blood pressure levels and other metrics.
- There are workouts on Yoga, dance, treadmill walk or run and more.
- You can listen to exercise playlist and save them to your Apple Music accounts.
- Your health data will be processed on your device not at a server.
- You’ll get 3 months free if you buy an Apple Watch.
- Priced at $9.99
- With so many subscriptions, you know Apple’s plans… bundled subscriptions.
- The 3 plans Apple One bundle different subscriptions like this:
- Individual ($14.95) / Family ($19.95): Music, TV+, Arcade, and iCloud.
- Premier ($29.95): Music, TV+, Arcade, iCloud, News+, and Fitness+.
iPad (8th Generation)
- It’s 10 years of the iPad with 500M units sold.
- Powered by A12 bionic, it’s now 40% faster and 2 times better in graphics
- There’s a neural engine that powers machine learning on the device.
- Works with keyboard (Apple and third-party) and Apple Pencil.
- Starts at $199
(Apple’s going cheaper, told you)
- Brand new look (i love it)
- Available in 5 colours.
- Retina display
- There’s a Touch ID sensor in the power button.
- Powered by A14 bionic.
- Now supports USB-C, making data transfers 10% faster.
- 7MP front camera (1080p video)
- 12MP rear camera (4k 60fps video)
Priced at $599.
Well that was all for the less-than-two-hour event. But there should be another event for iPhone launches next month.